Telecaster uke build : part 08 – Complete!

After waiting for the clear coat to cure, the time came to wet sand, apply the polishing compound, and polish the body.  I used 1000 grit sandpaper to wet sand the body.  I then used a rag to apply “fine” and then “swirl remover” polishing compound to the finish. “Meguiar’s Mirror Glaze #7″ is what I used to give the body a final polish.  It’s a car glaze, but I’ve seen it mentioned on a lot of guitar forums as a guitar polish.  It’s worked well so far.

I used this wiring diagram as a base:  One pickup, one volume, one tone.

I tweaked a few things to adjust for the higher frequencies of a electric ukulele.  250K ohm potentiometers were used instead of the 500K ones.  A 0.020 microfarad capacitor was used instead of the .047 microfarad one.  In addition, a 0.001 microfarad capactor was added between the center and right lugs.  (Okay, so I “tweaked” everything.)

Now, the Telecaster Ukulele is ready to assemble and then play!   In this video, I give a demonstration of the uke in action, and show it being assembled in real time (I work fast).

It’s been fun making this ukulele and sharing the details.  It was a lot of work, but now I have a custom instrument that plays beautifully and looks great.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>